Monday, June 11, 2012

Armadillo no. 43

Today, June 11, we saw our 43rd armadillo splatted on the road.  I stopped to take a picture of it, but it is too  .  .  . explicit to post, so you'll just have to take my word for it.  I'll show it to you when we get home though.

We're starting to notice the effects of temperature and humidity (took its toll on the critter above too - phewwwww) as the weather continues to warm.  A phenomena I've noticed in the last week is that the outside weather, as hot and humid as it is (and we haven't seen the worst of hot weather yet), is actually bearable while you're out in it, as long as you're not doing anything more strenuous than walking.  As soon as you carry groceries up the stairs, ride a bike, run, or do anything that elevates your body temp and circulation at all - the heat and resulting sweat become noticeable almost instantly.

When chainsawing or woodsplitting, I'm soaked completely above the waist in just a few minutes, and the sweat continues to pour out.  In a 3-hour woodsplitting session last Thursday, I downed two 32-oz Gatorades, and three 20-oz waters.  Didn't have to pee at all, so you know where it went.

I bike in the mornings, very early while it's still relatively cool, and that makes it bearable.  Even in our air conditioned gym, 20 minutes on the stationary bike or elliptical will leave me very  .  .  . moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment