Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hot dog roast

On Monday, 21 May, we gathered up the West Point elders, and drove out of town to Larry and Petra's - some of our favorite people here.  The longer we are here, the more we love all of these great people.

Larry had a fire going (from his tree that I cut down), Petra had hotdogs & fixins', Sister Johnson brought some watermelon, brownies, marshmallows, and other goodies. 

We enjoyed a lovely Southern evening around the fire, eating and talking until it got dark.  Tonight, we did get to hear the coyotes start howling just across the road - about 300yds.  Too bad my night hunter rig is back home (good for them though).

Driving back home in the dark, we saw our first fireflies of the season.  They burn brightly, but only for about a second.  Sister Johnson is determined to catch some in a jar, so that I can take a photo.  We still need to catch a turtle (for photos only), and see a live Armadillo curl up in a ball.

I couldn't resist a photo of JJ enjoying watermelon.  He's a grandson, and is so cute.  His brother escaped before I could get him in the picture.

The woods are full of mushrooms this time of year.  These were right by the firepit.  We put the description of this one in my iPad, and it came up as "nonedible".  I'm not sure I have it conclusively identified, but to be extra safe, we decided not to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment